Tag Archives: Warrensburg
Story by Andy Lyons, UCM Muleskinner Managing Editor
A Warrensburg High School senior killed himself Friday after being spotted in the high school parking lot with a shotgun.
The victim was later identified as Kyle M. Wittrock, 18, of Warrensburg.
At approximately 7:45 a.m., the Warrensburg Police Department was notified that someone in a green Ford Explorer was in the high school parking lot with a shotgun. Officers stopped the vehicle behind the Classic Car Wash at Maguire and Clark streets, according to a news release.
Officers took cover while waiting for back-up units to arrive. Shortly thereafter, officers heard a shotgun blast come from the vehicle, according to a press release. After the back-up units arrived, officers approached the vehicle and found that the driver was deceased from a single self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head, according to a news release.
No shots were fired at the school, which was locked down during the incident.
Missouri State Highway Patrol and UCM Public Safety officers assisted WPD at the scene.
THE FOLLOWING IMAGES ARE GRAPHIC AND MAY NOT BE SUITABLE FOR SOME VIEWERS
JOHNSON COUNTY, MO (KCTV5) –
The mother of a dead infant, found abandoned in a cave on the University of Central Missouri’s property is now accused of murder.
Court documents say Latasha M. Wilson was indicted by a Johnson County, MO, Grand Jury for second-degree murder, first-degree endangering the welfare of a child and abandonment of a corpse.
On March 4, 2014 two biology students doing work at Pertle Springs, a 300-acre recreational area owned by the university, found the baby’s body near some burned trash inside a cave on the property.
Prosecutors say the charges come from an incident beginning on Jan. 29, 2014 in Warrensburg. Court documents say that on that date she gave birth to the baby boy in the toilet of her employer’s restroom. The baby was born alive and took breaths.
Wilson then spent about the next three hours in the bathroom where she eventually wrapped the baby up in paper towels, carried him out and put him inside her locker.
“The baby was approximately 18 1/2″ long,” according to the Johnson County, MO, prosecuting attorney.
Prosecutors said Wilson let the baby remain in the toilet for some time and didn’t take it to a hospital for care afterwards.
Wilson was originally charged with abandonment of a corpse while Johnson County Prosecuting Attorney Lynn Stoppy awaited autopsy results for the baby.
Zakary Carter, 20, of Warrensburg was charged with tampering with evidence. According to court documents, the two then took the baby’s body to Pertle Springs Recreation Park and left it there. Carter then returned and burned the body to try and destroy evidence.
Electrical pole snaps, causes fire
Story by Andy Lyons/Muleskinner Managing Editor
Firefighters from the Johnson County Fire Protection District responded to a large field fire at 7:36 p.m. Sunday in the 500 block of state Route DD in Knob Noster after an electrical pole snapped, sparking a grass fire that grew quickly due to windy conditions.
As firefighters worked to combat the blaze, deer could be seen silhouetted by the flames as they fled the area.
Fire Chief Larry Jennings confirmed that 45-50 acres of pasture, made up of fields and timber, were burned by the incident.
Johnson County was under a wind advisory from 7 p.m. Sunday to 4 a.m. Monday, and a spokesman from the National Weather Service confirmed wind was gusting up to 49 mph in Knob Noster Sunday night, which JCFPD Lt. Brent Hunt said was a contributing factor to the fire.
Although the fire was only a short distance from the Hickory Hills subdivision, no structures were affected by the flames, “it was all open ground and timber,” Hunt said.
Crews from West Central Electric were also on the scene, working to take down the damaged electrical pole. Steve Moore, director of member services for West Central Electric, said customers in the area would have experienced an outage from the time the line went down until crews were finished replacing the pole. Moore also said high winds snapped the pole high up where an attachment is placed to mount wires.