Electrical pole snaps, causes fire
Story by Andy Lyons/Muleskinner Managing Editor
Firefighters from the Johnson County Fire Protection District responded to a large field fire at 7:36 p.m. Sunday in the 500 block of state Route DD in Knob Noster after an electrical pole snapped, sparking a grass fire that grew quickly due to windy conditions.
As firefighters worked to combat the blaze, deer could be seen silhouetted by the flames as they fled the area.
Fire Chief Larry Jennings confirmed that 45-50 acres of pasture, made up of fields and timber, were burned by the incident.
Johnson County was under a wind advisory from 7 p.m. Sunday to 4 a.m. Monday, and a spokesman from the National Weather Service confirmed wind was gusting up to 49 mph in Knob Noster Sunday night, which JCFPD Lt. Brent Hunt said was a contributing factor to the fire.
Although the fire was only a short distance from the Hickory Hills subdivision, no structures were affected by the flames, “it was all open ground and timber,” Hunt said.
Crews from West Central Electric were also on the scene, working to take down the damaged electrical pole. Steve Moore, director of member services for West Central Electric, said customers in the area would have experienced an outage from the time the line went down until crews were finished replacing the pole. Moore also said high winds snapped the pole high up where an attachment is placed to mount wires.